Taylor, we were both young when I first saw you..

From love story, our song, you belong with me and fearless - Taylor Swift always had a special part in my heart. But over the years things have changed. I spent years listening to different music and in the recent years it feels like she has gained a lot more popularity again (or is it that I'm noticing her more these days). 

Music has always been a huge part of my life, but I never stopped to think too much about the lyrics from my favorite artists. Not to mention, how talented & attractive this woman was- she had a charming, honest quality about her, and she worked super hard for her success. It wasn't until I stumbled upon this podcast by Allie Beth Stuckey with the episode titled "Taylor, you need to calm down" that I started to think about the artists I support and the messages they stand for. What happened? What changed with Taylor Swift that her music turned darker and seemed to promote anti-christian values over the years? 



I was too deep down the rabbit hole, too many days without prayer or reading the Bible before I realized how de-sensitized, I was becoming. But upon meeting a Christian friend and her mother, I realized I needed to change. Getting back into the Word more. Questioning my motives more and started wondering why I support artists who openly promote witchcraft in their music videos ("Willow" by Taylor Swift). Our time on Earth is short, and darkness is everywhere. It breaks my heart to think that I need to stop listening to Taylor Swift especially since I loved her music so much. I think Taylor was to me, as Beyonce was to this youtuber. 



I still had a lot of questions. Do I really need to quit cold turkey? Can't I just enjoy the good music without making everything about God? But the more I read the Bible, the more I'm getting to know a God who grieves as I love my idols more than Him, so why do I break His heart?  
Maybe this is an opportunity for me to find more artists who choose to honor Him instead. And pray for Taylor Swift and all the others who don't? 





Comments