Spending time alone with God.

The title is pretty self-explanatory, however let me elaborate a bit further. There have been many times where I have felt stuck or in a spiritual rut. And in those times I remember googling 'Ways to spend time with God' because I just didn't know how to do it - or I thought that there was a specific process to it. ( there isn't just one way to do it)
The awesome thing about God is - He is always there with us. (unlike a person) But that doesn't mean we should not prioritize time with Him. Jesus certainly did. I am by no means an expert - but imperfect though I am, perhaps I could share some of the things that I have tried. 

1. Spending time in the word in the early morning - as soon as you wake up: This one is true, and tried and tested. I heard somewhere (I believe in this message video) that in the morning your mind is like a dry sponge - ready to absorb whatever you put into it. So, it's best to feed it the Word when it's fresh and unburdened right? 

Mark 1:35 New International Version (NIV)

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.

(Bible verse taken from here)

I was introduced to this habit through a christian camp, where they showed us the difference 'Solo time' (with God) can do to our lives. You enter your day ready and recharged with the Holy Spirit - better equipped to lean on God throughout the day's challenges. 
We could personally meditate on some bible verses. Pray -speak and listen to God. (mostly listen if possible) you could also sing to Jesus (although this is something I've to start practicing myself - in the morning).  Of course you don't have to stop praying during the day. This solo time kind of sets the pace for spending the day with the Jesus. 

2. Taking a walk with Jesus :  I have found that in times of confusion and chaos - going away for a bit and just doing some activity that frees up my mind from its burdens are the best. A few times I went and took a walk in the park. The greenery, the people doing va rious activities going about their daily lives.  
Or sometimes just going to a solitary place so you can express whatever you feel like to Jesus. Whether it is in your room alone or a garden. Or to the terrace/ roof top of your apartment building where few people tend to be. 

 Luke 5:16 New International Version (NIV) 
But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.
(Bible verse taken from here)

3. Spending time with God in the night.  For some people - late nights or evenings work better than early mornings to really dig into the work. That's alright - because God wants our heart and for Him to be made a priority in our lives (doesn't everyone who truly loves us want that too? ) 

Matthew 14:23 New International Version (NIV) 
After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night, he was there alone
 (Bible verse taken from here)

From the points mentioned above it is pretty clear that you can spend pretty much any and all parts of the day with Jesus and digging into the Word. 
Of course giving God the best in our lives is vital, because He gave His best for us. (a truth that I need to be intentional about and remind myself about some times) 
There is also the element of fellowship/ community that I haven't spoken about in this post. I think it's vital for a christian to be in good christian company to keep each other accountable and practice 'Love' with and to do life with in general. (also to pray with and for, study the bible together with, to share our burdens and celebrate with) .

Matthew 18:20 New International Version (NIV) 
Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in Heaven. For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them."

I am by no means an expert in these topics (as I already said). However I thought I'd share these points here anyway. Enjoy your time with God!

Best
-Jeffy Sarto 

Comments